Improve Or Maintain Productive Lifestyle with These 7 Simple Hand Therapy Exercises You Can Do at Home
Hand therapy is very important if you have conditions affecting your hands, fingers, thumb, and wrist. It will include different treatments with the therapist but here are 7 simple hand therapy exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home.
1. Make a Fist
• Make a gentle fist, wrapping your thumb across your fingers.
• Hold for 30 to 60 seconds. Release and spread your fingers wide.
• Repeat with both hands at least four times.
2. Finger Stretch
• Place your hand palm-down on a table or other flat surface.
• Gently straighten your fingers as flat as you can against the surface without forcing your joints.
• Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and then release.
• Repeat at least four times with each hand.
3. Claw Stretch
• Hold your hand out in front of you, palm facing you.
• Bend your fingertips down to touch the base of each finger joint. Your hand should look a little like a claw.
• Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and release. Repeat at least four times on each hand.
4. Finger Lift
• Place your hand flat, palm down, on a table or other surface.
• Gently lift one finger at a time off of the table and then lower it.
• You can also lift all your fingers and thumb at once, and then lower.
• Repeat eight to 12 times on each hand.
5. Thumb Flex
• Start with your hand out in front of you, palm up.
• Extend your thumb away from your other fingers as far as you can. Then bend your thumb across your palm so it touches the base of your small finger.
• Hold for 30 to 60 seconds.
• Repeat at least four times with both thumbs.
6. Thumb Touch
• Hold your hand out in front of you, with your wrist straight.
• Gently touch your thumb to each of your four fingertips, one at a time, making the shape of an "O."
• Hold each stretch for 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat at least four times on each hand.
7. Thumb Stretches
• Hold your hand out, palm facing you. Gently bend the tip of your thumb down toward the base of your index finger. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds. Release and repeat four times.
• Hold your hand out, palm facing you. Gently stretch your thumb across your palm using just your lower thumb joint. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds. Release and repeat four times.
Whether you want to return to your productive lifestyle or just want to improve or maintain the fine motor skills of your hands, these hand therapy exercises can help ensure strength and mobility.