Reach Your Active Lifestyle Goals Even If You Have the Busiest of Schedules
What if we told you that dads can reach their active lifestyle goals even if they have the busiest of schedules? What would you say?
Dads are always busy. They have to juggle work, family, and other obligations. But just because they're busy doesn't mean they can't still have an active lifestyle.
Here are some tips on how dads can reach their active lifestyle goals even if they have the busiest of schedules:
Squeeze Short Bursts of Activity into Your Busy Life
Many experts have found that physical activities help support good health. If you're too busy to exercise for an extended length of time, there's good news. Short bursts of activity can be just as beneficial to your health.
So do a little bit more work in the garden or cycle to work instead of driving or taking public transportation.
16 Ways to Stay Active Even When You Think You Can't
Sometimes it's hard to find time to get fit, especially when you have a busy schedule. When you think there's no hope, it's important to remember that even the busiest of people can get fit and stay active.
Here are 16 ways to fit in short bouts of activity even if you think your schedule doesn't allow for it:
IN THE WORKPLACE
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator.
- Try parking farther from a building entrance.
- Walk or bike to work if you live close enough to your office.
- March or jog in place during your break time.
- Always take advantage of waiting time. For example, while waiting in line, balance on one foot for a few seconds and then the other.
- Instead of emailing or calling a colleague, walk to their workstation.
- Have walking meetings instead of sitting down.
- Get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- Use half of your lunch break for a short burst of exercise. (Ex: brisk walk for 5-10 minutes)
- When sitting at your desk, stretch your legs and raise your arms.
- Play roughhouse with your children.
- Take your dog for a walk more often.
- Walk your kids to school instead of driving them.
- Spend more time in the garden – dig, weed, rake leaves, and plant.
- Dance around the house while listening to your favorite music.
- Use a stationary bike and cycle during commercials of your favorite TV programs.
Not all the tips will work for everyone. It’s important to choose the ones that you know will best suit your body, schedule, and routine.
Exercise in Shorter Sessions
One of the best things you can do for your health and fitness is to stick with an exercise routine. A new study found that participants who exercised in 30-minute sessions separated by short breaks had better fitness outcomes than those who undertook a single hour-long workout.
Also, shorter sessions may sound less intimidating to some people than an hour-long workout. It can also mean you can fit in fun activities that will make your short workout energizing.
Unless you're fortunate enough to have hours of free time during the day, exercise can be difficult to fit into your schedule. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to incorporate movement into your busy day.
Tips to Achieve Fitness Goals in a Busy Schedule
1. Set realistic goals. If you're too ambitious, you're more likely to get discouraged and give up.
2. Make time for exercise. It doesn't have to be a lot, but even just 30 minutes a day can make a difference.
3. Find an activity you enjoy. If you're not having fun, you're less likely to stick with it.
4. Be consistent. Exercise isn't going to do much if you only do it once in a while. Try to make it part of your daily routine.
5. Get support from family and friends. They can help motivate you and hold you accountable.
The benefits of being active are endless. It can...
- Improve your mood
- Boost your energy levels
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Help you sleep better
- Prevent illnesses
- Increase your life span
When you feel good physically and mentally, you'll have more energy to tackle tasks at home or work! Being active also has health benefits for the whole family. It helps you teach your children how to be healthy.
The more active you are, the healthier you will be!